Butterless Eggless Vanilla Cake

October 21st, 2003 - Tuesday

It does not brown like a regular cake. It does not smell like a regular cake. It does not taste like a regular cake. This is one cake I will not be baking often. Here is the recipe anyway.

350g flour
200g castor sugar
2/3 cup cooking oil
1and 1/2 cup water
2tsp baking powder
2tsp baking soda
2tsp essence of vanilla

Grease two 14cm round cake tins. Mix the flour and sugar. Combine cooking oil, water, baking powder and baking soda and stir just enough to mix the ingredients well. Spread mixture into prepared tin. Bake in 180C for 50 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool.

Tags:

13 Responses to “Butterless Eggless Vanilla Cake”

1. ted says:

the butter is replaced by cooking oil huh.. hm.. i wonder what the cake tastes like then since u said ‘it does not taste like a regular cake’. like cardboard? wash sponge? heheh.

2. petertan says:

Well, it is bland and there is no buttery aroma at all. And you know what? It looks just like a wash sponge!

3. prema says:

you could try eggless cakes with butter and condensed milk – comes out more like regular cake. will root out recipe if u want to have a go. or you could google for one.

4. petertan says:

Thanks for offering the eggless cake recipe but I still prefer eggs and butter in my cakes better.

5. Natasha says:

instead of egg, you could use 1tbs soy flour + one tbs water (for one egg)

instead of butter, you culd use marjerin

hehe.

I knew a vegetarian who liked baking. =)

But nothing can match up to the old fashined, buttered, egged cakes.

6. petertan says:

Arrrrgh! I crave for a butter cake now.

7. Marita Paige says:

Dear Peter,

I like how you experiment with recipes. I usually have a bunch of friends come round to my house every week or so and make them my culinary guinea pigs. Sigh. If you only lived in Sarawak. I’d gladly have you over.

8. peter says:

Marita,
    That is so generous of you.

9. Belen says:

Hi Peter,

Thank you soooo veru much for the recipe, I was going crazy looking for something easy. I have promise my daughter that we were having a b-day party for her favourite doll and all “her friends” so I realized that I did not have eggs at home and that my husband took my bank card and was not able to go to the store!! but with your receipe, my daughter is going to be very happy.

Good Bless
    Belen

Belen,
    I hope the cake you baked with this recipe tasted better than the one I baked. Thank you.

11. Melissa says:

Hmm what ever happened to the good old egg replacement powder? But seriously now can’t you use milk in large quantities and replace eggs?

12. Nyla says:

No, you can’t use milk in large quantities – the egg is essential for the cake to rise and go nice and fluffy, otherwise the cake sort of just sits there flat, like a fudgy substance! It’s really frustrating because I want to find a recipe where I can make a nice cake but without egg – my younger brother’s allergic to egg and his 12th birthday is tomorrow, I’d love to find a nice, (edible!) cake to make for him!

Melissa and Nyla,
    I was experimenting baking without eggs. Some people do not eat eggs by choice. Having said that, cakes without eggs is not something I would miss. It is simply not a cake in every sense.