Earthquake in Penang

December 26th, 2004 - Sunday

At about 9:00am, when I was about to leave my apartment to attend Mass, I felt an apparent tremor which lasted more than 30 seconds. As I am staying on the 20th floor, the quake was more evident. I thought that if it lasted any longer, the block would collapse. The floor moved, my wheelchair swayed, the water in my drinking bottle was unsettled and the door rattled. Fortunately, no untoward incident happened around my Taman except for some residents who were shaken by the ordeal. According to a report from The Star, the earthquake measured 8.1 on the Richter Scale with its epicentre off the coast of western Sumatra.

6 Responses to “Earthquake in Penang”

1. kstang says:

I thought I was dreaming! I was still in bed when I felt my bed was shaking quite badly! I looked up and saw the time was about 9am. It happened for like 5 to 10 seconds… I was in Tanjung Bungah.

2. lucia says:

hey peter, i was there at mass too but didn’t see you. fr. stephen gave a good homily on the family eh?

yeah at about 9.00am i was putting on make-up getting ready for the 10.00am mass when i felt the tremor. i think leaning on the sink made me felt it more. my sister said she did not felt anything. my mum who happened to be at nature’s call felt it the most. she said she felt the ‘throne’ shaking. haha.

it’s such a sad news this earthquake in indonesia. at christmas time too. it was reported at CNN near 500 people died across SEA e.g. the quake trigger tidal waves in thailand and india and sri lanka and many were drowned.

3. Ariel says:

Thank God you are safe, Peter. Thanks for keeping us updated with the news on the aftermath in Penang.

Hope your break was a refreshing one.

KSTang,
    That was one scary experience huh?

Lucia,
    I am now almost permanently parked on the in front of the stained glass left of the entrance. Father Liew always gave interesting homilies that are easily understood and absorbed.

Ariel,
    The break was good. Thank you for your concern.

5. mswift says:

Thank you so much for your pictures and commentary on your time in Penang. It was very illuminating and uplifiting to see the industriousness of the people there in handling a crisis.

Mswift,
    You are welcome. I am just a spectator to all these and sharing what I know.