Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan under cloudy sky.
We do not always get the ideal situation to shoot scenes with a blue sky as the background, especially in Malaysia where we have clouds many months of the year. The photos that I took of the Leaning Tower in Teluk Intan had an overcast sky. I do not usually do massive post processing of the images that I shoot, certainly not changing the sky colour. Nevertheless, it is a rainy day today and I am yearning for some blue skies. Just for the fun of it, I took the photo of the Leaning Tower and replaced the gloomy sky with a cheery blue one.
Voila! Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan with blue sky.
This is how I turned a cloudy sky to blue with Photoshop:
1. Select the Magnetic Lass Tool and trace the outline of the sky in the image.
2. Hold Shift key and trace the outline of parts of the sky not included in the selection.
3. Click Layer > New > Layer via copy. This will duplicate the traced part of the image and create another layer.
4. In the Layers window, select the duplicated layer.
5. Click Image > Adjustments > Variations. This will open the Variations window.
6. Click More Blue until the desired colour is displayed in Current Pick.
7. Click Ok to exit the Variations window.
8. Click Layer > Merge Down to complete the process.
I fiddled a little more with the colour as the blue in the first image was too vivid. The colour below is nearer to that of the sky. This are my initial attempts in photo editing. It is fun. I am wondering if I should get a better LCD monitor or perhaps take my 17″ CRT down from Penang for this.
Voila! Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan with a nicer blue sky.
Tags: Photoshop Tutorial
Unwitting victims of other people’s misconduct - Breaking Barriers - The Borneo Post - 11 January, 2014
Flood preparedness for disabled persons — Are we doing enough? - Breaking Barriers - The Borneo Post - 4 January, 2014
The case for accessible homes - Breaking Barriers - The Borneo Post - 28 December, 2013
I was an angry man last week - Breaking Barriers - The Borneo Post - 21 December, 2013
Giving back meaningfully - Breaking Barriers - The Borneo Post - 14 December, 2013