Lost My Samsung Galaxy SII

Cheeky has not been well since he came back from boarding last Thursday. Thank God Fei Por and Lucky were all right. Two evenings ago, Wuan noticed that Cheeky has been going to the litter box very frequently but there was no poo in the box afterwards. We pressed his tummy and thought it was too firm for comfort and realised that he was constipated.

We looked around for a veterinary clinic that was open on Sunday and found one. The vet agreed that he was indeed constipated and had an X-ray done just to be sure as Cheeky is rather fat. He had to be admitted for treatment and observation for a couple of days. I hope he gets better soon. That poor thing. He did not even whine.

After we left him, we went to run some errands and then decided to have dinner at Aeon Taman Maluri. When we got to the supermarket, I realised that I had left my phone in the car. Wuan went to retrieve it and we continued our shopping. We dropped in at Hainan Tea Garden but I did not quite like what was in the menu. Wuan had noodles. I would get my dinner from elsewhere later.

Barely minutes after we left the shopping mall, I realised that I did not have my phone with me. We called my number. It rang but went unanswered. Since we were very near the vicinity, I drove back to the multi-storey car park where I suspected I dropped my phone. It was nowhere to be found. I tried calling my number again while Wuan went to the Aeon customer service counter to check if some Good Samaritan had found it and left it there.

By then, the phone was already turned off. The staffs at the customer service counter were not very helpful and sympathetic, and did not offer to assist her further. The security office said that if we want to view the CCTV, we have to produce a police report. Not wanting to waste time arguing with them, she retraced our steps back to Hainan Tea Garden without any luck. However, I will definitely be going back with a police report to view the CCTV footages to gather evidence on the person who took the phone.

My first mistake was not making sure that my phone was with me at all times. I usually stuff it in between the wheelchair cushion. It could have fallen off. Someone could have picked it off me. I cannot be sure. My second mistake was not locking the phone when not in use. It could have bought me valuable time in connecting to the phone remotely and wiping the data inside.

I am upset not because I lost the phone but because of exposing the contact details, emails and addresses, messages and data contained in the phone, the SIM card and the SD card, not that they are of any significant value to anyone else except me. My sole worry that they could be misused by the dishonest person who took the phone.

Nevertheless, I have changed all passwords to access the applications used in the phone. I have also informed all my contacts regarding this to make them aware of the situation should they receive any unusual communication from “me.” I am glad that I backed-up my contacts several weeks ago. This allowed me to inform them via SMS and emails without much hassle. I also had the mind to back up my photographs right after I came back from Penang.

Looks like I have been losing things too often. Firstly, I dropped one side of my leather wheelchair gloves in Penang last year and then another side of the new rubber pads that I bought to replace the gloves somewhere in the third floor of Mid Valley Megamall two months back. I had to wait for more than one month to get a replacement pair.

Then I forgot to take my wheelchair cushion along on my trip to Penang to conduct a Disability Equality Training workshop in Penang and had to buy one in Ipoh. And now, losing the phone that I have used for 10 months only. These are expensive items and I am getting very careless. I hope, I pray, that the streak of having to spend money like this ends with losing the phone. It has been one long spate of bad luck since last year. I need some good vibes. If you have some to spare, please send them over.

Author: Peter Tan

Peter Gabriel Tan. Penangite residing in the Klang Valley. Blissfully married to Wuan. A LaSallian through and through. Slave to three cats. Wheelchair user since 1984. End-stage renal disease since 2017. Principal Facilitator at Peter Tan Training specialising in Disability Equality Training. Former columnist of Breaking Barriers with The Borneo Post. This blog chronicles my life, thoughts and opinions. Connect with me on Twitter and Facebook.

One thought on “Lost My Samsung Galaxy SII”

  1. Sorry to hear that you lost your phone, Peter. We can only pray that what the person wants is the phone and not the valuable information inside. My Mom’s friend would say that it’s part of life, part of us going older.

    Just have to be careful next time. =(

Comments are closed.