Get Well Soon, Fei Por!

We got a call from the hospital this morning. The veterinarian said that Fei Por had stopped breathing but was revived. She was on a ventilator and that she was in a bad shape. Even before the vet could finish, I cut in to say we would be there immediately.

It was a long journey. Many thoughts were running in our minds. Would Fei Por be still alive when we reached there?

At the hospital, Wuan went to see Fei Por first. She came back telling me that Fei Por was still alive. That was a great relief. Still, I wanted to see her for myself.

The moment I entered the room, I could not contain my emotions and started crying. She was lying on the table with an oxygen mask on her face. A intravenous drip was running into her right front leg. She was such a sorry sight.

Sick cat

Wuan caressed her. She was not very responsive but we know she could hear us. We talked gently to her like we always did at home while waiting for the vet.

The prognosis was not good. Her blood test results showed that she was badly dehydrated and that she may have kidney failure. Another blood test will be done a few days later to confirm her kidney problems if she survives. She was stable at the moment and the vet took her off the oxygen.

Fei Por had come with a kitten one day in 2007 and has stayed on since. She had two more litters but none of her offsprings survived. We had her neutered after her last litter. We cannot be sure how old she is now but estimate her to be at least 8 years old.

We had tried to bring her into the house but she never liked it. After a few days inside, she would sit by the door and asked to be let out.

When we adopted Cheeky in 2008, Fei Por took it upon herself to look after him. She would groom him at every available opportunity. Cheeky got very attached to her. He would sleep beside her whenever she was inside the house.

Sometime late last year, Wuan noticed that Fei Por was getting old and decided to get her live in the house again. This time, she came in and never asked to be let out. She seemed happy then.

When we took the cats back from boarding on Tuesday, we noticed that they had no appetite. Fei Por vomitted several times. We let them be because we thought that it was from the stress of being boarded with other cats.

Fei Por became restless on Thursday. She kept climbing onto the window. I asked Wuan to let her out. Unfortunately, it rained very heavily that day. I got worried and kept calling out to her but she did not return.

She came back early the next morning as Wuan was getting ready for work. Wuan was in the kitchen when Cheeky went to her and got her to follow him. He lead her to the main door.

Fei Por was crouched outside. Her fur was all bedraggled. She looked tired. We planned to take her to the vet when Wuan got back from work that evening. However, Wuan was tied up in the office and got back very late.

We finally managed to take her to the vet yesterday morning. The vet said that she was badly dehydrated and was not sure if she could pull through.

We hope she will. We pray she will. Cheeky has been missing her since. We are missing her too.

Get well soon, old lady! We are all rooting for you.

Author: Peter Tan

Peter Gabriel Tan. Penangite residing in the Klang Valley. Blissfully married to Wuan. A LaSallian through and through. Slave to three cats. Wheelchair user since 1984. End-stage renal disease since 2017. Principal Facilitator at Peter Tan Training specialising in Disability Equality Training. Former columnist of Breaking Barriers with The Borneo Post. This blog chronicles my life, thoughts and opinions. Connect with me on Twitter and Facebook.

One thought on “Get Well Soon, Fei Por!”

Comments are closed.