Gurney Getaway – Day 2 (December 28, 2004)

Sunrise in Penang as viewed from Gurney Drive
Sunrise over Penang.

0750: A sunrise is a beautiful sight to behold. Wuan and I woke up early to catch one. The dawn sky was beginning to brighten. The sun was already a few degrees above the horizon. Scattered clouds obscured it partially. The sight of its shimmering reflection on the sea spread warmth inside us. Waking up a wee bit earlier was worth the effort. It was indeed a magnificent spectacle, especially from where we were, high above everything else with an unimpeded view all the way to the horizon.

Breakfast at Gurney Hotel Coffee Bean
Breakfast at Gurney Hotel Coffee Bean.

0917: One of the things I did not do the last time we were at Gurney Hotel was discovering how an egg benedict really tastes like. We headed down to Coffee Bean which was just beside the hotel. I do not know if their Eggs Ben is the same since I do not know one from the other. It was not exceptionally good but times better than the awful hawker food we had at the food court opposite Eon Bank at Burmah Road the evening before. Wuan had Chicken Sandwich which was slightly nicer than the eggs I had.

Neglected lamp post standing forlornly at Gurney Drive
Old lamp post at Gurney Drive.

0950: Having filled our stomachs, we headed out to explore the length of Gurney Drive, again. It was low tide. The sea had retreated a good 60 meters out. The exposed mud emanated a stench not unlike that of a sewer. The sun was pleasantly warm against my skin. I have not felt this kind of sensation for a long time and loved every second of it. It was fun going out with Wuan again after such a long time being apart from each other. She asked me what that structure that was standing forlornly by itself at the edge of the beach was. It used to be a lamppost. Most of the others had toppled over through years of neglect and erosion of its foundation by the sea.

Egret at Gurney Drive
Egret looking for food at Gurney Drive.

0958: Wuan spotted a lone egret wading close to shore looking for food. We were all excited. We have never seen one at such a close range. Wuan climbed down to the beach to take closer shots. I jokingly told her that I would keep a lookout and warn her of any foaming white tide rushing towards us. She went up right to the shoreline of the rising tide and started snapping. The bird was not intimidated by her presence. At one stage, it even stopped what it was doing and seemed to strike a pose just for Wuan.

Kite seller at Gurney Drive
Kite seller and customers at Gurney Drive.

1005: We parted ways with the egret and crossed path with a man hawking colourful kites of all sizes. Their long multi-coloured tails fluttered cheerfully in the breeze. Watching those little kites rising and falling with the wind induced a feeling of light heartedness in us. Wuan and I sat there for a while, enjoying both the gentle wind and the sight of the little bits of cleverly crafted paper brightening up our morning.

MPPP enforcement officers at Gurney Drive
MPPP enforcement officers at Gurney Drive.

1052: MPPP enforcement officers had set up a roadblock at the junction of Jalan Pemenang. Vehicles were prevented from going up to where Gurney Plaza and the roundabout were. We wondered what the reasons for the roadblock could be. A little further up, we noticed silt collected in puddles on the pavement. It was drying up fast under the heat of the sun.

Bird in mud at Gurney Drive
Bird in mud at Gurney Drive.

1100: Wuan and I debated whether that bird was stuck in the mud and was dead or it was just standing still there sunning itself and waiting to ambush its lunch. We observed it for a while under the blistering heat. When it became unbearable, we moved on. The bird was still as motionless and we were none the wiser whether it was alive or dead. We kept looking back, hoping to catch glimpses of it moving, however fleeting. It was still as stiff.

Cleaning crew at work in Gurney Drive after the Tsunami
Cleaning crew at work in Gurney Drive after the Tsunami.

1106: Further up the road opposite Gurney Plaza, it was evident why the road was closed. Another round of cleaning up was in progress. There were water tankers from Propel in their bright luminous orange, one from MPPP in their uniform blue and one from PLUS in white. The technicians manning those vehicles donned jump suits of similar colours while the MPPP crew were ubiquitous in their yellow T-shirts and black pants. There was even a cute little street sweeper truck with brushes on its underside. Upon closer observation, the workers were busy shooting jets of water down drains to unclog the silt and debris that got stuck inside.

Hard at work cleaning Gurney Drive after the Tsunami.

1111: At the roundabout, firemen were hosing down the road while the MPPP crew were busy sweeping away the silt with their lidi brooms. Cleaning what the tsunami left behind was no easy task. A skid loader was also used to scoop up the thick mud in certain spots where it was virtually impossible to hose and sweep the grime away.

Oriental Restaurant at Gurney Drive
Oriental Restaurant at Gurney Drive.

1115: The most obvious sign of the destructive force of the tsunami was the collapsed wall of the Oriental Seafood Restaurant. Tables were upturned and the floor was covered in a layer of thick mud. The height of the tide could be measured by the muddied wooden railings of the covered bridge leading to the restaurant. It must have risen at least 3.5 meters from the seabed when it hit that part of Gurney Drive.

Dried mud at Gurney Drive after Tsunami
Dried mud at Gurney Drive after Tsunami./em>

1124: The dried mud produced some interesting patterns. How far had those that inundated Gurney Drive travelled? Were they swept in by the force of the tsunami from around the vicinity of the epicentre to Penang or from nearby seas? Are these muds toxic? These questions beg for answers.

Tsunami cleaning crew taking a break at Gurney Drive
Tsunami cleaning crew taking a break at Gurney Drive.

1129: The cleaning crew were stopping work for the morning. Wuan and I guessed we have had enough of the sun too and headed for the cool sanctuary of Gurney Plaza. Those two hours in the sun certainly made us a shade or two darker. And we did not have any sunscreen on. We loitered around the shopping complex, cooling ourselves down and window shopped.

Fish & Co at Gurney Plaza
Fish & Co at Gurney Plaza.

1252: Lunch was a shared platter of tuna salad with Wuan at Fish & Co. It tasted a tad too salty. We also had a mocktail called the Pink Passion which smelt faintly of some body shampoo that we had used before. I think I shall stop using fruity fragranced shampoo from now in order not to mess up my olfactory senses again. It really killed the pleasure of that drink. A short while later we hopped over to Nandos and had one half chicken in hot peri peri marinate. Surprisingly, for one who is averse to anything spicy, my mouth was not burning. Nevertheless the chicken was nice. So was the coleslaw.

View of the promenade at Gurney Drive
Casuarina trees along Gurney Drive.

1550: As we made our way back, traffic was at a crawl as the road to the roundabout was still closed. We rested under the shade of a casuarina tree and took in the sights and the salty breeze that was still blowing. People were beginning to fill the promenade. Some couples even sat by the edge of the beach oblivious to the danger and possibility of Penang being hit by those devastating waves again.

View of Northam Tower from Gurney Hotel
Northam Tower by night.

2044: We stayed in almost the entire evening, nibbling on the buns and snacks that we bought from Cold Storage earlier. The television was on. CNN kept running footages of the devastation and flashed the death toll repeatedly. A catastrophe of this proportion was just too overwhelming and difficult to comprehend. The entire world had never experienced a tragedy like this and I hope we never will again.

Author: Peter Tan

Peter Gabriel Tan. Penangite residing in the Klang Valley. Blissfully married to Wuan. A LaSallian through and through. Slave to three cats. Wheelchair user since 1984. End-stage renal disease since 2017. Principal Facilitator at Peter Tan Training specialising in Disability Equality Training. Former columnist of Breaking Barriers with The Borneo Post. This blog chronicles my life, thoughts and opinions. Connect with me on Twitter and Facebook.

7 thoughts on “Gurney Getaway – Day 2 (December 28, 2004)”

  1. Nice photos! I think the bird is not dead lah…if it was, it wouldn’t be standing there motionless. It probably was sun tanning for a while.. 🙂
    Glad that you had a great time with Wuan!!

  2. Well there was Noah’s flood, but there was no CNN back then 😛 Glad you enjoyed yourselves 🙂

  3. Cherry,
    It looked dead. Lets get our wildlife biologist bloggers answer that question.

    Thank you. If they had CNN back then, all the journalists would have been drowned anyway.

    You are welcome.

  4. Thank You for sharing your wonderful photos with us! I was so impressed with them…and just love the sunrise and the abstract mud on tiles…so unique. I really enjoy reading you. Take care…Luv Koda
    p.s. I am visually impaired and wondered if you could impart something into your site so those of us that are half blind can increase the font size? I can tell you’re a real puter whiz so I’m hoping…if it’s not too difficult. I have so much trouble reading blogs since most are in such tiny font. I have my settings set to the largest but it barely changes them, yet it increases in size on other types of things. The accessibility aids on my puter suck and I don’t know how in the world people who are more impaired than I can manage! Thanks Peter!

  5. Marita,
    You are welcome.

    There is no need to increase the font size on my part. If you are using a wheelmouse, hold the Ctrl key and roll the wheel forward to increase the font size. Alternatively, you can use the keypad’s “+” key to do likewise.

Comments are closed.