Proud to be a Malaysian

April 30th, 2005 - Saturday

Photo by Wuan.

While we were chatting in ICQ last night, Mack remarked, “Imagine that a PFS boy and a SXI boy working together.”

Mack is an old boy of the Penang Free School. I am a La Sallian, studied nine years at the now defunct Penang La Salle School and two more years at the St. Xavier’s Institution, another Christian Brothers School. The rivalry of our alma maters go back a long way. I have participated in several such “skirmishes” during Scouts’ campfires and gatherings where we try to out-drown the singing of the Frees. It is all friendly and in good fun though. These encounters are what made the events more exciting. I do have many good friends who have studied at the PFS. Mack has just become another.

What Mack and I are doing is not about old boys of rival schools coming together and cooperating on a common issue. It is more than that. It is about a Malay and a Chinese working together. It is about a Muslim and a Christian working together. It is about the abled looking after the welfare of the disabled. But that is where our differences end. We are similar in many more ways than we ever realised.

This truly is a story about one human who saw the need of another human and decided something must be done before it is too late. It is all about one Malaysian coming to the aid of another Malaysian. This is what Malaysia is all about. This is what Malaysians should be doing, disregarding colour and creed and coming together to lend a helping hand in the spirit of muhibbah. This is what makes me proud to be a Malaysian.

Related category:
Building Manager from Hell

Related entry:
Life, or something like that ~ Brand New Malaysian

12 Responses to “Proud to be a Malaysian”

1. Ross says:

Indeed :) I’m proud to be Malaysian myself!

2. vincent says:

Perhaps it is not about a Malay working with a Chinese, or a Muslim working with a Christian. Perhaps it is about a Malaysian working with another Malaysian?

Ross, :D

vincent,
    That was what I mentioned in the last paragraph.

4. Marita Paige says:

A great example that we all can work together, irregardless of creed, race and faith.

5. Mack says:

Peter, thanks for the pick me up. I was getting rather depressed this morning, after hearing that some media ‘friends’ think it’s too risky to carry this story. Looks like we have to work harder from Malaysian blogosphere.

6. Frank&Honest says:

Mack

Why is it too risking? What is the rationale of your “media” friends?

Your media friends are nuts?? Or they are just being cowards…. to fearful of authorities… they lose their marbles when having to engage politicians or the powers-that-be.

I like to hear what your media-friends said, Mack. If anything, for my own personal information.

7. bkworm says:

That’s why it so sad when people pick on each other over the smallest issues whether over race or religion. We should thank God every day for the harmony and peace in our country.

Marita,
    This is what makes Malaysia unique. If only we bother to stop and see our similarities instead looking at our differences.

Mack,
    One small step at a time and I am sure we can make a difference. You have inspired me to push harder. Here I am. Lets soldier on for the sake of all the people who need this plan.

Frank&Honest,
    I can understand the reservations of the people that Mack has approached. There is more than one way to skin a cat. If one does not work, there are always other avenues. Lets explore each. I am sure there is one that will work.

bkworm,
    That is so true. I am thankful that I am living in Malaysia and in some other country where there is strife and ethnic cleansing. Thank God for Malaysia.

9. joan says:

hallo
    my husband and i live in new zealand
    we have been to penang 3 times to stay with family in sri pangkor-we love the place
    they have returned to australia
    but we decided to come to penang again’
    we have booked 2 months in the gurney hotel-hope it will be ok
    we like to read your blog as it addresses your life in malaysia
    take care
    joan

joan,
    I hope you will enjoy Penang as you did the previous times. Do look me up when you are here again next. I can be reached at mail@petertan.com.

11. Emergency Evacuation

Today after rounds at the hospital, we smelt something burning at one of the hospital lifts. Shortly after, the “Code red” warning sounded (fire alert). I don’t think it was a real fire, more like an electrical short.
    However this incident has remin…

12. Tragedy … act one, scene one

For once, let’s do something when we can, before jumping about trying to fix things when it’s too late. This effort in requesting building…